I woke up feeling grateful today. As a matter of fact, I wake up most days feeling grateful. Some happiness experts say you should rhyme off three things you’re grateful for every single day – and ideally, when you first wake up. It sets the tone. To that I say, “Just three?”
Don’t get me wrong. Three is a great start. If you’re going through a tough time in life, this is incredibly powerful. Maybe I’m lucky, maybe I’m super fortunate, maybe it’s fluke, maybe it’s my mindset, maybe it’s my perspective on things…maybe it’s all of these things and more. One thing I can say for sure is: I feel incredibly grateful every single day (okay fine, most days – heck I’m a human being too, I have my moments).
Let’s get it down on paper … er, the Internet
For today’s 15-minute writing challenge (not sure how many minutes I have left), I’m going to write a list of all the things that come to mind this very minute that I am grateful for in my life.
Here we go!
- My kids who are supercalafrajalisticexpialadocious (did I spell that right, Mary Poppins?)
- My husband who is the most amazing husband I ever could have dreamed up in my head
- My parents who are the greatest two role models, supporters, and best friends of mine
- My friends who I miss DEARLY and who I cherish for all their unique personalities and traits
- My home, which makes me happy and thankful every day
- My business and my writing – I LOVE what I do! How lucky is that?!
- Working out (when I can be at my gym, that is, I miss my arc machine!)
- My maple desk that my Dad built with his own bare hands
- The stunning stain-glass serving plates that give that serious WOW factor (made by my mom, with her bare hands)
- A car to take me from Point A to B
- Turning over the pillow in the middle of the night and feeling the coolness of the new side against my cheek
- Delicious espresso at the touch of a single button (thank you, Gaggia!)
- The ability to be goofy and act like a kid again
- Sunny days (even if they’re cold)
- The smell of freshly cut grass
- Laughter (the type that makes me feel like I can’t breathe)
- Awesome neighbours
- Lying down for sleep at the end of a lonnnnnnng day
- The moment when I finish a big project
- The feeling of sitting on the couch to relax for the first time that day
- Meditation (mine only lasts 5 minutes these days, but it’s better than no minutes!)
- Free time to just…have fun!
- Being outside
- Great pieces of art that make you feel something
- Powerful quotes that make you realize something
What are you grateful for?